Chantilly, VA: The Great Courses / The Teaching Company, 2016.
DVD set of 4 discs in box + paperback guidebook.
Course #3541. Dr. Bob Brier, recognized as one of the world’s foremost experts on mummies and Egyptology, is a Senior Research Fellow at LIU Post. In this series of 24 30-minute lectures, Dr. Bivins provides a guide to reading, writing, and translating ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. Lecture topics include:
- Why Egypt Needed Hieroglyphs
- The Ancient Egyptian Alphabet
- How a Language Becomes Lost
- Napoleon in Egypt
- Early Attempts to Decipher the Rosetta Stone
- William Bankes and the Keys to Decipherment
- Jean-Francois Champollion Cracks the Code
- Suffix Pronouns and the Hieroglyphs of Ptah
- The Immortal Scribe
- Hieroglyphs and the Bible
- Dependent Pronouns and the Passive Voice
- Past Tense and Adjectives
- New Ideograms Related to the Gods
- Names of the Pharaohs
- Ancient Egyptian Numbers
- The Egyptian Calendar
- Names of the Gods
- Negation in Ancient Egyptian Sentences
- Reading Hieroglyphic Jewelry
- Palimpsests: When Scribes Make Mistakes
- An Ancient Egyptian Prayer for the Dead
- Translating the Tomb of Pereb
- Translating Tutankhamen’s Tomb
- King Tut’s Magic Mirror and Sarcophagus
4 discs in case, 24 lectures, 30 minutes per lecture, includes 269pp 5-1/4 x 7-3/8" guidebook in pictorial wrappers.
Previously owned set in excellent unused condition.